This week we had a skype call with Gerard Dunleavy who is a graduate of the Animation Masters course and is currently working for MPC in London. Above is Gerard’s masters showreel which was the winning entry for International CG Student of the year 2012.
During the talk Gerard mostly talked about how he got into the industry from starting the course all the way up to where he is now.
- In MPC there is a advertising and film department.The advertising section of the the company is very fast paced as there are a variety of projects coming in every week and the deadlines for these projects are short. However in the film section the staff have more time to spend on each shot to make sure the director’s vision is realized.
- Advertising gives the artist an opportunity to try new things as the clients are usually unsure of what they want; they have an idea, but they say to make it ‘awesome’ or ‘unique’.
- One of the downsides to working in film is that if the shot that you slaved over gets cut, then you cannot share it publicly, you can only put it on your ‘secret showreel’ for interviews.
- Fake it ’till you make it
- You need to stand out! Make what you are passionate about and make it simple. Make something simple, but done well.
- The industry is word of mouth; recruiters talk
- At the beginning of your career, the deadlines will be really intense, you will have to work long hours and weekends especially coming up to the deadline, but it is always worth it in the end.
- Plan your future. Prepare for success; create goals for your future and plan what you are going to do next.